Canada's Population Growth due to Immigration

The population of Canada has officially hit 34,019,000, its largest population ever. Here are some interesting stats:

According to Statistics Canada, the population growth across the nation between April 1, 2010 and January 1, 2010 was 88,000 people. Most of this growth, almost two-thirds or 71 per cent of it, can be attributed to immigration with only the remaining one-third or 29 per cent attributable to births.

Statistics Canada did note, that immigration’s contribution to growth had actually slowed this year when compared to other years because of a net drop in non-permanent residents, or people on work and study permits, refugee claimants as well as their family members.

Western provinces British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba reported the largest population increased throughout the country for the first quarter of the year, and Saskatchewan saw the largest population increase of these provinces over three months in almost 40 years. Over the months from January to April, British Columbia’s population grew by 0.37 per cent. Saskatchewan’s population grew 0.36 per cent, coming in second place. The Yukon territory reported a population growth of 0.75 per cent.

Ontario’s population grew by 0.25 per cent in the first quarter of 2010, bringing Ontario’s current population to approximately 13,167,900.

Since the beginning of the year, the total Canadian population as a whole has grown by 0.26 per cent.

Each province aside from Nova Scotia experienced an increase in their populations for the first part of the year.

As our population ages, immigration will be even more crucial to sustain Canada’s population in the coming decade and beyond. Our labor market needs a steady flow of immigrants to make up for the short fall of people of working-age in the coming years. Lets  hope the government gets the message and adopts more immigrant-friendly polices to meet Canada’s needs otherwise we will fall behind in the global marketplace.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada immigrant population canada immigrant population growth canada immigration population canada immigration populations Canada migration population canada population growht canada population growth canada's immigrant population canada's population growth canada's populations canada+immigrant+population Canadian immigrant populations canadian immigration population canadian immigration population growth canadian population by immigration canadian population from immigration canadian population growth candas population trends immigrant population in canada immigrant population in canada 2010 immigrant population of canada immigrant+population+in+canada immigrants immigrants population in canada immigrants population in Canadian provinces immigration canada immigrant population immigration canada population immingrant in canada population population growth canada immigrants population growth in canada population increase immigration canada population of canada immigration population of immigrant to Canada population of immigration canada Statistics Canada

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply