Canadian Permanent Resident Cards needed in 15 Days for Australian

Canadian Permanent Resident Card question for our immigration lawyers

Q. My wife and I received Canadian permanent residence in June 2010 and now we are planning to go to Toronto in July 2010.

My wife is a student here in Australia and she can not stay for more than 15 days in Canada as her study will be affected. Is there any process by which she will be able to get her Canadian Permanent Resident Card in 15 days?

Secondly can our relatives receive our Canadian Permanent Resident Cards on our behalf if we come back in 15 days and can they mail us our PR cards in Australia?

A. When you arrive in Canada, you should be able to pick up your Canadian Permanent Resident Card at a local CIC office. In advance of your trip. Only applicants can pick up their PR cards in person. Agents or relatives are not permitted to pick up Canadian Permanent Resident Cards for applicants. You should fax the CIC office issuing your PR Card in advance and explain your wife’s situation so that they may be able to accommodate her travel plans to Canada. Note that as a Canadian Permanent Resident, your wife has residency obligations which are to reside in Canada for at least 2 years within the 5 year period of her PR Card’s validity subject to some exceptions.

For more information on Canadian Permanent Resident Cards visit our PR Card FAQ page here.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: australia permanent resident card australia permanent resident card example australia permanent resident to canada Australian permanent residence card australian permanent resident card australian pr card blogs on australian permenant residency Canadian Permanent Resident Cards candian permanent resident australain visa permanent resident card australia pr card pick up procedure

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply