Temporary Residence Permit for skipper sailing into Vancouver

Temporary Residence Permit obtained thanks to Niren and Associates


We had the privilege of representing a Skipper who required a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)  in order to enter Canadian waters off Vancouver.

The applicant was on his boat during his journey from Hawaii to Vancouver, Canada and could not receive faxes or emails. It would take him 14 days to reach Vancouver. On top of that, he had limited access to the phone and Internet while he was at sea, and he had absolutely no access to a printer before he docked in Vancouver, which means he even would not have a proper application package to present to Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA).

We therefore had to contact the CBSA, Marine Security Unit, directly and sent them the client’s TRP package directly for their review and consideration. In most cases, applicants have their TRP application packages in hand for presentation to the CBSA.  We emailed CBSA the TRP package and the officer in charge of the port told us he received it and would make a final decision after intrviewing the Skipper when he arrived.

Well, he did arrive and the interview went well. Our Skipper was issued his TRP and was allowed to sail into Canada. Here is now a happy sailor!


Hello Mary,

Would like to thank you for all of your assistance in obtaining a Temporary Residence Permit for my allowance into Canada.  Everything came together very easy and much faster than trying to do it on my own.  The whole process was handled extremely professional and in a short time period.

Thanks again,

Trevor H

Have a question about Temporary Residence Permits? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm today.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Canadian Border Service Agency denied entry to vancouver sailing resident skipper residence working permit for skipper

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No Responses to “Temporary Residence Permit for skipper sailing into Vancouver”