New Statistics Canada report on immigration to Canada

Statistics Canada report on immigration to Canada and population increase

A new Statistics Canada report has found that Canada’s population increased in the third quarter of 2010 because of the highest rates of immigration to Canada in 40 years.

From July to October, Canada’s population increased 129,300 to 34,238,000. According to Statistics Canada, about 65 per cent or almost two-thirds of that population growth came from immigration to Canada. During the third quarter, approximately 84,200 new immigrants came to Canada.

Immigration to Canada by province

Prince Edward Island had the highest population growth rate due to immigration to Canada, a 0.7% population increase due to about 1,200 new immigrants. Prince Edward Island was followed by Quebec with 16,8000 new immigrants resulting in a second place population increase and then Manitoba in third place with 4,700.

The population increase in Ontario was mostly from immigration to Canada, about 70% but no records were broken.

The only province in Canada that experienced growth naturally from a Canadian-born population was Alberta, with 60% of its population increase due to new arrivals and the remaining 40% from immigration to Canada.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, 2010 should see the largest number of permanent residents coming to Canada in over five decades.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada visa statistics immigration statistics canada 2010 immigration to canada statistics 2010 new immigrants to canada statistics new immigrants to canada stats statistics canadian immigration 2010 stats canada immigration 2010 statscan canadian immigration temporary workers 2010 visa statistics for canada visa statistics in canada

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply