Entering Canada or the US? Get Ready for New Passport Requirements June 1

Passport requirements for travel between Canada and the United States

Beginning June 1, the United States will implement the final phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).  The WHTI will require all Canadian citizens and US Citizens to present a valid passport or other accepted secure documentation when entering the U.S or Canada. at all land and marine ports. This law came into effect for air travel on January 23, 2007.

Additional documents allowed for travel between the United States and Canada

Canadian citizens and US Citizens will be required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States or Canada by land or water: a passport, a NEXUS card, a FAST card, or an enhanced driver’s license or identification card from a state, province or territory.

It is important to note that  Canadian citizens entering the United States by land or water can use other WHTI-compliant documents, they must still present a valid passport when leaving the U.S. by air.

For additional information and regulations regarding passportrequirements, please visit Passport Canada’s website at www.passportcanada.gc.ca.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: entering 2010 Canada from us entering canada by land ENTERING CANADA BY WATER entering states from canada passport entering usa from canada new laws for entering canada Passport Information passport to usa from canada passpt requirements entering canada Traveling to Canada Traveling to the US

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply