Living in Canada with a Green Card. Do I need a Reentry Permit?

Canadian Reentry Permit Question

Hi. I live in Canada and have a green card commuter status that expires in mid July of this year. I lost my job this year. In order to keep my status, I should either move to the US or find a job within six months. It’s very difficult to get a new job in the current economy, and it’s even more difficult to move to the US because the house market is also so bad that I can’t sell mine. I’m stuck and time is running out. I heard that I may apply for a reentry permit so I can buy myself more time to find a job without losing my status. Is this true? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.


Should you apply for a Reentry Permit?

If you are unable to move to the US and establish residency, then you should apply for a Reentry Permit. Remember that you will have to apply for one from within the US and then wait for a decision which could take a few months. You have to justify why you are unable to reside in the US at this time and that your absence from the US is temporary. I do not think difficulty in finding a job in the US or in Canada will suffice. In your case, a decision will have to be made: either move to the US or potentially abandon your Green Card.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada re-entry permit green card commuter status green card living in canada living in Canada inurl:blog questions regarding communter greencard status Reentry Permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply