E-2 Visa issued but can I Reenter the US?

E-2 Visa for InvestorsHi Michael,

You obtained an E-2 work visa to the US for me several years ago. My question now is if I was to leave America for over 30 days would that be a problem?

Hope all is well,




If your E-2 Visa was obtained at a US Consulate (say in Toronto) and you leave and return to the US while it is still valid, you should be fine.

It is only when the E-2 was obtained within the US at a Service Center that you may have difficulty reentering the US. If this is the case, you would be required to resubmit your E-2 visa to a US Consulate outside the US in order to be readmitted on an E-2

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: denial of renewal e2 visas E2 visa issues e2 visa questions border

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No Responses to “E-2 Visa issued but can I Reenter the US?”