Immigration to Alberta for H-1B Visa Holders in the USA

H-1B VisaAs of April 2009, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program has introduced a US Visa Holder Category focused on H-1B Visa holders. This immigration program enables skilled foreign workers on US Work Visas to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence with the intention of working in Alberta. This program is designed fill occupational shortages in certain high priority employment sectors in Alberta. The US Visa Holder Category is a fast track application process resulting in Canadian Permanent Residence.

In order to qualify for the US Visa Holder Category, the following has to be met:

The Applicant must demonstrate an intention to live permanently in Alberta;

The Applicant must be currently working in the US and possess a visa in one of the following categories: H1-B, H1-B1, H-1C, E-3;

The Applicant must continue to hold the US work visa at the time a final decision is made on the application;

The Applicant must have a minimum of one year of work experience in the US while holding one of the qualifying visas; and

The Applicant’s current occupation must be on the Alberta “Occupations Under Pressure List.” There are currently some 80 occupations on the list. The general categories of listed occupations include:

  • Information Technology Occupations
  • Management Occupations
  • Business, Finance and Administration Occupation
  • Natural and Applied Sciences and Related Occupations
  • Health Occupations
  • Occupations in Social Science, Education, Government Service and Religion
  • Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport
  • Sales and Service Occupations
  • Occupations in the Primary Industry
  • Occupations in Processing, Manufacturing and Utilities

For more information on the Alberta US Visa Holders Category contact Niren and Associates Immigration Lawyers at 416 410 7484 or email us at [email protected]

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada immigration us visa holders us visa holder category

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No Responses to “Immigration to Alberta for H-1B Visa Holders in the USA”