US Visitor Visa for Canadian Permanent Resident

My wife and I live in the U.S. She has been having health issues (Cancer) diagnosis in March 2009. She has a niece that is has been in Canada since September 2006. Her niece is currently waiting for her Canadian Permanent Resident Card. She would like to come to the U.S. to help out with my wife once she receives her PR card. I would like to know how long she would be able to stay with us.


Depending what nationality your niece is, she may or may not require a US Visitor Visa to enter the US. Some countries are visa-exempt or under the visa waiver program. If she is from a country where US visas are required, she will have to apply for a US Visitor Visa at a US Consulate. Typically,  the duration of US visitation is up to 6 months at a time. However, it is important to always show “temporary intent” upon entering the US as a visitor otherwise you can be refused entry.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: american visa canada immigration cancer tourist visa canadian landed immigrant us visa canadian permanent resident joining US canadian permanent resident us visa canadian pr visa waiver canadian resident canadian resident visit visa us permanent residence rules in usa permanent resident canada chicago pr canada visa enter usa us canadian pr visa US visa as canadian PR US visa for Canadian PR us visitor visa for canadian permanent resident usa visa for canadian pr

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

4 Responses to “US Visitor Visa for Canadian Permanent Resident”