I had a five year Bar to Enter the US which has now Passed. Do I still need a US Waiver?

Questions about US Waivers for our immigration law firm

Q. I am a Canadian citizen. About 5 years ago I was denied entry to the US for misrepresentation and was given a 5 year bar. I did not try to enter the US during those 5 years but now I wish to go for visitation. I have been told that I should apply for a US Waiver. Is this the case even though my 5 year bar has expired?


Information about US Waivers from our immigration law firm

A. Technically, you should not have to apply for a US Waiver (I-192). However, we have found that CBP Officers are asking Canadians with 5 year bars to apply for US Waivers despite having waited the 5 year period. Their justification is that these applicants have an “immigration history” and as such there are concerns about their credibility as genuine non-immigrants (visitors). What this means in practice it seems is that if you are unfortunate to have been given a bar, you would likely need to apply for a US Waiver long after the 5 years. Fair? Not really. But such is the reality at the Canada/US Border.

The best strategy is not to misrepresent your intentions for entry to the US. And if you have concerns about your rights, seek legal advise before you visit the Canada/US Border to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Have a question about US Waivers? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: 5 year bar 5 year bar immigration 5 year bar waiver canada bars to entry immigration Canada/US Border CBP Officers five year bar five year bar immigration if have 5 year bar immigration 5 year bar immigration bars to entry reasons for a 5 year bar? US Waiver waiver of 5 years bar

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply