American with Criminal Record Needs Entry to Canada for Business

Entry to Canada question for our immigration law firm

Q. I have two DUI convictions in the US. I am an American. I know that I will need a Temporary Resident Permit to cross into Canada. However, I have a business meeting in Canada within a month’s time and I have to attend. How can I get a TRP that fast?


Entry to Canada answers from our immigration lawyers

A. Fortunately, as an American citizen you can take advantage of NAFTA and apply for your TRP right at the Canada/US Border. However, in many cases, the CBSA officers at the border would rather see TRP’s filed at the Canadian Consulate. But if your trip to Canada is coming up so soon, you would be best to consider applying for the TRP at the border. There are risks associated with TRP border applications, namely, being refused entry and turned back right then and there! If you decide to apply at the border make sure all your TRP application documentation is in order including your paperwork concerning your convictions, background information and need for entering Canada. TRPs can be issued for a single or multiple entries to Canada.

Have a question about Entry to Canada? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm today.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: american criminal record canada laws americans criminal record canada visa arrest record canada visa criminal record canada+criminal+trp CBSA officers entry to Canada

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply