My TN Visa will expire soon. Where can I apply for a new TN Visa?

Canadian Working on a TN Visa

Q.  I am a Canadian working in the USA as a Management Consultant under on a TN Visa. My Visa expires in January 2011 and I want to renew it. Can I renew it from within the US or do I have to return to Canada and apply at the Canadian/US border? I am working in Houston, Texas. Thanks for your help.


TN Visa Application Options

A. TN Visas are valid from up to 3 years years. Applying for a new one will depend on whether your current employer wishes to extend your employment beyond the validity of your TN Visa. In other cases, you may have a new US job offer for which you need a new TN Visa. In either case, you can apply for a new TN Visa at either a Port of Entry from Canada or Mexico. From within the US, you can apply at your local Service Center. Since you are working in Houston, you can apply for a new TN at the Texas Service Center. If you decide to go this route, make sure you apply before your TN Visa expires.

If you apply at a port of entry, you can do so though the Mexico/US border as it would be much closer than going back to Canada. Be aware, however, that not “all borders are created equal” meaning that your TN Visa application may be handled quite differently depending on where you decide to apply. It’s important therefore to be aware of the, shall I say, “nuances” of the borders and service centers that process TN Visas as well as other US work permits.

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: expired TN visa at border NAFTA NAFTA TN TN visa TN visa application TN Work Visa US Work Visa

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply