Have you been denied entry to Canada?

When traveling to Canada, it can be extremely inconvenient, disappointing and costly to be denied entry to Canada when visiting family, traveling for business or planning a vacation in Canada.

People are usually denied entry to Canada because of a criminal past, but can even be denied for minor offences that occurred years and years ago.

Those who have been denied entry to the United States can apply for a waiver of inadmissibility, but the process when being denied entry to Canada is a bit different. When you’ve been denied entry to Canada, you can apply for a Temporary Residency Permit, or TRP.

This process of applying for a Temporary Resident Permit can be done directly at the border when trying to gain entry to Canada if the applicant is from a visa exempt country such as the United States. However, this can present a serious problem if your application is denied and you’ve already traveled all the way to the border.

Crimes that are over five years old and are preventing you from being granted entry to Canada can also be pardoned in your home country.

Consult with an immigration lawyer if you have been denied entry to Canada to determine your best course of action and increase your changes of successfully gaining entry into Canada.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Criminal Pardon denied entry to Canada pardon denied canada reason Temporary Residence Permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply