US Workers in Canada on Work Visas

More US Workers applying for Temporary Work Visas

We recently blogged about how in a complete reversal of historical trends, more and more workers from the United States are looking for jobs in Canada. The unemployment rate in the United States is high, and an uncertain economy has more Americans looking for temporary work visas in Canada than ever before. Here in Canada, many employers are complaining about not having enough workers.

Obtaining a Temporary Work Visa

An immigration lawyer is your best place to start when thinking of applying for a temporary work visa to live and work in Canada. A temporary work visa is also a key step to temporary residency in Canada, and can also lead to permanent residence in Canada if you qualify.

First, you need a job offer from a Canadian company or business in your professional field.

Job hunters will generally need to get an LMO, or Labour Market Opinion from Service Canada. This ensures that there are not enough Canadian workers with the appropriate skills to fill jobs, and that temporary foreign workers are needed. Some jobs are exempt from having to get an LMO, so speak to an immigration lawyer before applying.

After the offer of employment is approved through Service Canada, the worker applies for a Canadian work visa and must be approved by a visa officer – even if you have an approved LMO, the visa officer can deny your temporary work visa application. This is why it’s so important to choose an immigration lawyer to assist you and give you the best chances for success.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Temporary Work Visas

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply