How do I Apply for a US Waiver? I am a Canadian citizen.

Q. I was refused entry to the US due to an assault charge many years ago. I am married with two kids and need to travel to the US for business and pleasure.


A. Applying for a US Waiver due to a criminal conviction in the past is an involved process. What you have to do is complete I-192 and G-325 Application forms and provide the required supporting documentation including:

  • court records of your conviction
  • a personal statement about what specifically happened with respect to your offence
  • letters of reference
  • information about your ties to Canada including employment, assets, family
  • If your offence was drug-releated, you would also need to submit a blood test from a doctor
  • RCMP Report

There are other documents that need to be submitted but these are the essentials. Once you have all the required documents and information,  you then will have to submit your US Waiver application to a Canada/US border at a designed time. The application is then sent to a USCIS office in the US for processing. The application can take around 6 months to process.

The duration of the Waiver is up to 5 years, after which you will have to apply for a renewal.

For more information, visit our US Waiver page.


Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply