What work experience is required for a Skilled Worker Application?

Q. I have a few years of work experience but do not know if I qualify for the Skilled Worker Category. Please help.



Work experience is a critical requirement for a Skilled Worker applicant. At a minimum, you must have one year of full-time (or the part-time equivalent) of continuous work experience in an occupation at a skill level recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Accumulated part-time work experience is acceptable.

Currently, applicants without Arranged Employment must also have the minimum of one year of work experience in one of Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s 29 qualifying occupations in order to qualify under the Skilled Worker category of Canadian immigration.

When evaluating your work experience you must consult the National Occupation Classification (NOC) to determine whether your job titles and duties do in fact fit into the 29 qualifying occupations. Note that this occupational list changes from time to time so it is important that you deal with the latest list.

See our skilled worker blog post about not meeting the 69 point mark.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply