Going From A Temporary Work Permit To Permanent Resident Status In Canada

From a Temporary Work Permit to a Permanent Resident (PR) Card – Part 1

Obtaining a Temporary Work Permit in Canada is often considered a step towards Permanent Residence in Canada. This is true, and for those who already have an active Temporary Work Permit in Canada, there are several ways to move up from a Temporary Work Permit to Permanent Residency in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Program

Under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants can generally apply for Permanent Residency within a year to a year and a half. Through this program, foreign workers are nominated for Permanent Residency by employers, but each program can be different across provinces. Most of these applicants must be highly skilled for certain jobs, although the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program can involve a select few unskilled occupations.

Canadian Experience Class

Through the Canadian Experience Class, applicants can apply for Permanent Resident Status within about a year. People with Temporary Resident Permits who are looking to move to Permanent Resident Status using the Canadian Experience Class need to have either two years of work in Canada or completed one year of post-secondary studies as well as one year of work.

If you are interested in obtaining Permanent Residency Status in Canada and you think you qualify for one of the methods above, contact us at the form to the right.

Check back later for two more ways to go from a Temporary Work Permit to Permanent Resident Status.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Canadian Experience Class permanent residence in canada Provincial nominee program temporary work permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

2 Responses to “Going From A Temporary Work Permit To Permanent Resident Status In Canada”