How to Renew a PR Card

Upon landing in Canada, permanent residents will receive a PR Card (or permanent residence card). This PR Card is used as an identity document when they enter and leave Canada.Renew application for PR card

Renewing a PR Card

PR cards are good for five years, and then they have to be renewed. If you know that your PR card is going to expire soon, it should be renewed as soon as possible using a PR Card renewal application.
This application will disclose information about your travel outside of Canada and your employment history, and help the immigration officer who is in charge of processing your application to determine if you meet residency obligations in Canada.
It can take several weeks to renew a PR Card, which is why it’s important that you apply for a PR Card renewal at least two months before your current PR Card expires.
Depending on your situation, you may be able to expedite the processing period for your PR Card.

PR Card renewal refused

If your PR Card renewal application is refused because you may not meet the residency requirements in Canada, you may be able to request an exemption under humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
Speak to one of our immigration lawyers today using the form on the right if you have concerns about being refused for a PR Card renewal, if you need assistance with a PR Card decision appeal, or if your PR Card is expiring soon.
For more information about renewing a PR Card, click here.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Canadian Permanent Resident Card how to renew a pr card permanent residence card renewal Permanent Resident Card PR Card PR Card renewal PR Card Renewals

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply