How To Get A Work Permit in Canada

Working in Canada is a very attractive option for many. But in order to work legally in Canada, you need to get a work permit or a work visa. There are different ways to get a work permit in Canada, depending on where you currently live. How to Get a Work Permit in Canada

Work Permit in Canada for Americans and Mexicans

Under NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement) it’s much easier for Americans and Mexicans to get a work permit in Canada. In order to get a work permit in Canada under NAFTA, one needs to have a job offer from a Canadian company in a specific field.

People who aren’t American or Mexican can also obtain work permits in Canada. For example, if you are a skilled worker you can immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker category. For more information, click here.

How to get a work permit in Canada

In most cases, those who want to get a work permit in Canada will have to obtain a LMO, or labour market opinion, from Service Canada. This LMO ensures there are no qualified Canadians or permanent residents that could fill the job you are applying for. After this letter is obtained, you can then apply for a Canadian work permit or work visa. Some foreign workers do not have to apply for an LMO as there are some exemptions, such as foreign students that hold a Canadian study permit. For more information, click here.

If you are looking for more information on how to get a work permit in Canada, contact us at the form on the right.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada work permit canada work visa How to get a work permit in Canada Skilled Worker Permit work in canada work permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

One Response to “How To Get A Work Permit in Canada”