How to Get into Canada if you have a Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may be denied entry into Canada at the border if you try to enter Canada. This can be a serious inconvenience and ruin any travel plans you may have had, whether you were going on vacation, visiting family or traveling for business. Denied Entry to Canada

No matter how old or insignificant the charge may seem, if you have a criminal record you can be denied entry to Canada. But, there is a way that you can still get into Canada with a criminal record.

How to Get Into Canada With A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record or are worried about being denied entry to Canada, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which is sometimes called a visitor’s visa.

The Temporary Resident Permit can get you into Canada even if you have a criminal record or medical illness that would otherwise cause you to be denied entry to Canada.

A Temporary Resident Permit can be applied for at the border, but that doesn’t necessarily guarantee your approval. It’s up to the immigration officials at the border to decide whether you can enter Canada and approve your Temporary Resident Application.

For the best chance of success, discuss your individual circumstances with a licensed immigration lawyer, who can then guide you further. For more information, visit our web page on being Denied Entry to Canada and watch our informative video.


Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: denied entry to Canada How To Get Into Canada With A Criminal Record Temporary Resident Permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

2 Responses to “How to Get into Canada if you have a Criminal Record”