Been Outside Canada Too Long? How To Renew Your PR Card

One of the most common questions we receive at our immigration law firm is how to renew your PR Card if you have been outside of Canada too long. This is also known as not being able to meet the residency requirements to renew your PR Card.

In order to maintain permanent residency status in Canada, you will need to remain physically in Canada for two years (or 730 days) out of every five year period. You will also need to prove that you have been in Canada during this time when it comes time to renew your PR Card – usually by providing information about your travel during the five years or proof of your address and employment records for the time period.

If you cannot prove you’ve been in Canada for two years during the five year period, your PR Card renewal application could be denied.

What can I do if I cannot meet the residency requirement?

There are many reasons why someone would not be able to meet the residency requirement to renew their PR Card. You may have had unexpected situations arise and had to extend your travel outside of Canada or had to leave Canada suddenly without knowing when you’d be able to come back. In many of these cases, you could have a valid argument as to why you haven’t been able to meet the residency requirement.

You may be able to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you haven’t been able to meet the residency requirement and were outside of Canada too long. However, it is important that you act quickly. A licensed immigration lawyer can be your greatest ally, as you will have to make comprehensive and effective arguments as to why you have had to remain outside of Canada as long as you have. If you have been outside of Canada too long and need to renew your PR Card, contact one of our licensed immigration lawyers as soon as possible using the form on the right, or by calling us using the telephone number at the top of this page. We’d love to help!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: How to Renew Your PR Card PR Card Renewals pr cards Renew your PR Card Residency Obligation

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply