I’ve Lost My PR Card. What do I do?

A PR Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is a document that allows permanent residents in Canada to travel in and out of Canada. Because Canadian permanent residents don’t have a Canadian passport, a permanent resident card acts as proof of a person’s permanent resident status in Canada and without one, you may be unable to travel.

We get soooo many calls about people loosing their PR Card. We posted a blog about this topic and it’s time to post another one!

What do I do if I’ve lost my PR Card?  

If you have lost your PR Card, you will need to contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada immediately.

You can do this either by calling them at 1-888-242-2100 or by visiting the nearest Citizenship and Immigration Canada office near you. You will have to apply for a new PR Card if you’ve lost your old one if you wish to travel outside of Canada. NOTE:  Calling CIC and getting answers sometimes is a challenge!

What if I lose my PR Card outside of Canada?

If you have lost your PR Card outside of Canada, you will have to visit the closest Canadian Embassy or Canadian immigration office in the country you are in. When you are there, you can report your PR Card as lost of stolen.

To return to Canada, you will need to obtain a travel document at the nearest Canadian office. Not always easy and you may have to wait a while before it is issued.

Because you don’t have a Canadian passport, a travel document will allow you to travel back to Canada. You must be able to prove your identity and permanent resident status in Canada to obtain a travel document.

If you haven’t been able to make an application for a new PR Card before returning to Canada, you can apply for a new PR Card after returning to Canada using the travel document.

Did you lose your PR Card? We can help!

Travel documents are not always easy to get, especially if you have not brought enough documentation to prove your permanent resident status on your travels. Contact us using the form on the right or call us right away at 1 877 928 3485

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Lost PR Card Permanent Resident Card pr cards pr status What Happens if I Lose My PR Card

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply