How to Change the Address on a Permanent Resident Card

One of the benefits of being a permanent resident in Canada is that you can live and work anywhere in the country! However, your permanent resident card (also called a PR card) that serves as secure proof of your status in Canada, must have your current address on it. If you move or change your address, you will also have to change your address on your permanent resident card. 

How to change the address on your permanent resident card

In order to change the address on your permanent resident card, you must contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You can call them at 1-888-242-2100, or you may notify them of a change of address via snail mail. You may also be eligible to change your address using the online service.

You are expected to notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada of your change of address about three weeks before you move. When you change your address with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, it takes about 15 days for the change to appear in your file.

What if I have just arrived in Canada and gotten my address?

If you have just arrived in Canada for the first time as a permanent resident, there is a different method for you. A permanent resident who is changing their address would submit a Change of Address to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, while a permanent resident who has just landed in Canada will submit an Address Notification to Citizenship and immigration Canada.

We can help you! Please e-mail or call us if you need help:

– Changing the address on your permanent resident card.
– Replacing a lost or stolen PR card.
– Renewing your PR card.
– Obtaining a renewed PR card immediately.
– Obtaining a renewed PR card without having met the residency obligation.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Change of Address PR Card Permanent Residency Status permanent resident cards PR card FAQ PR Card Renewals pr cards

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply