Reminders for Canadians Seeking TN Visas and L1 Visas for the United States


New Option for Canadians who need a TN Visa for the United States

Formerly, Canadians could apply for a TN Visa with the United States Customs and Border Protection and could only apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with respect to a TN Visa if they were applying to extend the TN visa or try and change their status to a TN visa. 

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently announced that those who want to petition for a TN visa on behalf of a Canadian citizen (Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) can now do so with USCIS.

“Canadian citizens continue to have the option of applying to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for TN classification in conjunction with an application for TN admission to the United States,” said the release.

A reminder from the USCIS about L1 Visa Applications for the United States

The same release also served as a reminder to United States employers that they can also file their individual petitions of L1 visas with the USCIS – the Form I-129S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L petition.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is accepting applications and supporting documents.

Do you need help with your L1 Visa application or your TN Visa application? We can help you prepare your application for the best chance of success when obtaining a visa to the United States.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: applying for a tn visa filing immigration applications immigration applications L1 Visa l1 visa applications TN visa tn visa applications USCIS

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply