Canadian immigration: expired PR card

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, you should be holding a valid permanent resident card. As of 2002, permanent residents who land in Canada receive their permanent resident card (also called a PR card) automatically. If you landed in Canada prior to this time, you have to apply for one on your own. To apply, please contact us. We can help you prepare your application for your initial permanent resident card. 

Has your Canadian pr card expired?

The first thing you need to do if your pr card has expired is ensure that you make an application for a new card. Your pr card will expire every five years, and you must renew it every time.

In the best case scenario, you should apply to renew your pr card as soon as possible when you notice it is going to expire soon. The most ideal time to renew your pr card is between two to three months before the expiry date on your card.

To do this, you will need to obtain and fill out an Application for a Permanent Resident Card (form IMM5444) and include all of the supporting documentation necessary for this application, including:

Photocopies of a primary identity document, two secondary identity documents, proof of your physical presence in Canada, two photos that meet the requirements for a permanent residency card and possibly other documents depending on your individual circumstances – such as if you are a minor or did not meet the residency requirement.

You must also include the Supplementary Identification Form and the fee receipt to show that you’ve paid the fee for the application.

What is the residency requirement?

The residency requirement is a very important part of being a permanent resident. Permanent residents must live in Canada, meaning they need to be physically present in Canada for a specific time during each five years the pr card is valid. This time frame for the residency obligation is two years of every five you are a permanent resident. You must be able to prove to the government that you have met this requirement in order to renew your card.

Have you been unable to meet the residency requirement? Please contact us! We can help you even if you have not met the residency requirement to renew your pr card.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: expired permanent resident card expired PR card Permanent Resident Card PR Card renew a permanent resident card renew permanent resident card

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply