How to sponsor family to the USA

Did you know that if you are a United States citizen or green card holder (lawful permanent resident of the United States), they can sponsor you or their other family members to the US?

Spousal Sponsorship in the USA

In order to sponsor someone to the United States, the sponsor must be either a United States citizen or a green card holder. They must also prove to the United States government that they can support you financially when you are in the US, because they are responsible for you.

These applications take very long to process, especially if the sponsor is only a permanent resident and NOT a US citizen.

How to apply to sponsor family to the USA

There are to ways of applying to immigrate to the USA depending on where you are right at the time of the application.

Consular Processing: If you are outside of the United States and remain outside of the United States, you could apply at your local American consulate where the application would then be forwarded to the US consulate for your sponsoring spouse.

2. Adjustment of Status: If you are inside of the United States with a legal status (such as being on a visitor visa, study visa or work visa) and then marry an American citizen, you can apply to adjust your status so you are allowed to remain in the United States while the spousal sponsorship application is being processed.

Family sponsorship petitions to the US are denied often, and they are not easy to apply for. In order to have the best chances of having a successful application, please contact our immigration law firm. Not only can we assess your case and give you a good idea of whether or not we think your application will be successful, we can help you prepare your spousal sponsorship application to eliminate the chance of it being denied due to an error or omission.

We have over fifteen years of experience in helping people immigrate to the United States. Contact us today! You won’t be disappointed.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: family based petitions for a green card how to sponsor family to the US how to sponsor your spouse to the US sponsoring family to the United States United States green card US Green Card

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply