Can an American work in Canada?

A question we are often asked at our immigration law firm is, can an American work in Canada? The answer is, yes! 

If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada under the Skilled Worker Program, which could lead to permanent residency.

Obtaining a Canadian work permit for Americans

Thanks to the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), it is much easier for a United States citizen to obtain a work permit in Canada. However, there are still requirements that must be met. These requirements include:

You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer
The job offer must be listed in the NAFTA agreement
You must be able to prove you are a United States citizen
You must be able to demonstrate that you have work experience and education that make you qualified for the job you’ve been offered.

You may also be required to obtain a positive LMO. This is also called a labour market opinion, and your employer will obtain this on your behalf while giving you a copy for your work permit application. This assures the Canadian government that there are no Canadians available to fill the job you’ve been offered.

Americans applying under the Skilled Worker Program

If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade or paraprofessional occupation. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

Are you an American citizen who wants to work in Canada? We are an award-winning immigration law firm that has helped many people work in Canada, including many United States citizens. Simply give us a call at the telephone number above at your earliest convenience and we would be more than happy to set up an assessment of your case. You are closer than you think!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Americans working in Canada Canadian work permit work in canada

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply