Renew Your PR Card in Canada

As of 2002, people who have permanent resident status in Canada are given a permanent resident card, which is also sometimes referred to as the PR card. This permanent resident card is an identity document, and a very important one – it allows you to return to Canada if you travel abroad. Many permanent residents enjoy traveling abroad for pleasure or to visit their family, and that’s why it’s extra important to make sure your permanent resident card is valid. Your permanent resident card will expire after five years. 

Renewing your permanent resident card in Canada

Upon realizing your permanent resident card is going to expire soon (about three months before the expiry date on your card is best), a permanent resident must make an application to renew their card. However, the permanent resident card renewal process is more than merely filling out paperwork. You must ensure that all of your supporting documents are in order and that you have met the residency obligation, which means that you have spent at least 2 of the past 5 years within Canada.

When you renew your permanent resident card, you must also be physically present in Canada. This can pose a problem if your permanent resident card has expired while you were in a different country. If this happens, you will have to visit your closest Canadian office abroad so you can obtain a travel document. Once you have a travel document, you can then return to Canada where you can apply for a permanent resident card as usual.

Permanent Resident Card Renewals In Canada

We are an immigration law firm that handles applications for permanent resident card renewals, including urgent renewals or applications where there are apparent obstacles such as a permanent resident card that has expired outside of Canada or someone who has not met the residency requirement. Don’t leave your important permanent resident card renewal application up to chance – if your application is denied, your permanent resident status in Canada could be in jeopardy. Contact us as soon as possible if you realize your permanent resident card is about to expire, or if you are experiencing any problems that make your permanent resident card renewal application more difficult than usual.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: permanent resident cards PR Card renewal

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply