Apply for an H1B work visa for the United States

A foreign national who works in an occupation that requires a high level of skill could be eligible to work in the United States on an H1B visa. To do this, you will have to have a specific kind of job offer from a United States employer already. If this sounds like it may be an option for you, read on: 

What is a “specialty occupation for an H1B work visa?

The H1B work visa is a specialty occupation work visa, which means that the occupation needs to be one that requires a high level of skill and usually a university degree – “specialty” means that not just anyone can do this particular type of job. It must be considered complex and specialized.

It also must be apparent that it is not only your potential United States employer that requires you have a university degree or exceptional skills for their job opening, but that anywhere a similar job is available a university degree and high level of skill is required.

You must also demonstrate that your potential employer will pay you the prevailing wage, meaning the same wage that is paid to anyone else in that type of job in the specific geographic region you will be working in.

The H1B work visa for the United States also has a quota, meaning that only a certain amount of them are given out each year. For more information on when and where to apply for an H1B work visa, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer.

H1B work visas for the United States

We are licensed immigration lawyers that have helped many foreign nationals apply for work permits in the United States successfully. An H1B work visa application is not an easy United States work visa application, as the requirements are strict like they are for any United States work visa. However, don’t let this stop you. We can help you determine your eligibility for an H1B work visa and help you ensure that your application is solid. If you are not qualified for an H1B visa, we can help you explore your options for working in the United States. Contact us using the telephone number at the top of this page or e-mail us with the form to the right to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: H1B visa United States work visas Work in the United States

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply