Study in Canada on a Canadian study permit

If you would like to go to school in Canada, you could count yourself be among the over 130,000 students from other countries who do the very same thing every year. Attending school in Canada is a powerful way to expand your knowledge while also studying French or English, and thanks to the the CEC, or Canadian Experience Class, you may be able to eventually apply for permanent resident status depending on their qualifications. But if you want to come to Canada to go to school, you will more than likely need a student visa or study permit. 

Study in Canada on a Canadian study permit

Are you a foreign student who wants to go to school in Canada? It can depend on your native country, but you may have to apply for a temporary resident visa so that you enter Canada in the first place, depending on if your home country is visa-exempt or not. It is a possibility that you will have to pass a medical examination, also.

There are also two other requirements in addition to the above if you wish to attend school in Canada as an international student. These requirements are:

1. Someone who wishes to apply for a student visa has to have a letter of acceptance issued by a qualified education institution in Canada.

2. You have to have enough money to support yourself and cover your expenses like housing when you are studying along with covering all of your tuition. Even though international students are permitted to work in certain circumstances (like working on-campus or as a part of your study program), you cannot depend on that to support you entirely.

Study permit law firms in Canada

Although not every international student will need a student visa to study at a Canadian college or university, most students will. If you need to go to school in Canada, consult with a reputable immigration representative to ensure that your study permit application is fully taken care of. We can offer assistance and have experience assisting international students who wish to study at one of the many world-renowned Canadian universities and colleges. Call us to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before the next school year!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Go to school in Canada student visa study permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

One Response to “Study in Canada on a Canadian study permit”