How to Renew Your Permanent Resident Card In Canada

Someone who is a permanent resident of Canada is obligated to keep their permanent resident card (PR Card) valid at all times. Because these Canadian permanent resident cards expire every five years, that means that you need to renew them every five years. 

The procedure for renewing a permanent resident card in Canada involves creating an application package and determining whether you meet the requirements for renewing a permanent resident card. However, while it seems straightforward there are areas where you could run into trouble, and a licensed immigration lawyer can help you ensure there won’t be any problems with your application.

Procedure for renewing a Permanent Resident Card in Canada

When renewing your permanent resident card in Canada, you will:

1. Fill out immigration form IMM5444, which is also called the Application for a Permanent Resident Card. The form for initial cards, replacements and renewals is the same, so you indicate that it is for “renewal” by checking the appropriate box on the form. 

2. Read through the document checklist that accompanies this form, and ensure that you have included all of the required supporting documents in your application. Do not miss anything, and ensure all the documents meet the specifications on the checklist. 

3. There is a processing fee you must pay when you renew your permanent resident card, and you are required to include the receipt for this payment in your package. 

4. Have a licensed and reputable immigration lawyer review your application and supporting documentation to ensure your application package has been properly put together and there is nothing missing. 

5. Mail your application to the appropriate case processing centre, and await notification from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that your new card is ready.

Permanent Resident Card lawyers in Canada

The application process to renew your permanent resident card may seem straightforward, but there are issues that can arise if you have special circumstances like being stuck outside of Canada with an expired card, not having met the residency obligation or being concerned about another issue with your permanent resident status.

We are experienced in handling permanent resident card renewals and other immigration matters related to permanent resident cards – simply contact us at the number above for help!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Permanent Resident Card renew permanent resident card renew pr card

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply