Working in The United States As A Canadian Citizen

Despite the United States’ and Canada’s close relationship, citizens of both countries still require a work permit or work visa to obtain work in the other country, as so almost all other foreign nationals. While there are a few exceptions, if you are a Canadian citizen who has a job offer in the United States you will likely need to begin considering which of the many United States work visa options are suitable for your employment situation. Work in the United States as a Canadian

What kinds of United States work visas are there?

There are several different types of work visas available depending on your education, your type of job offer and more.

For example, there is the TN Visa, which is an extremely popular option among Canadian citizens. While only Canadian citizens (or citizens of Mexico, but not Canadian permanent residents) are eligible to apply for the TN visa, it remains a great choice because it can be applied for at the US-Canada border or at any other United States port of entry such as an airport. This means there are no long visa processing times, and the applicant will know whether they are approved or denied right away. However, TN visas are only for professional occupations that tend to have a higher level of education required, such as doctors and lawyers.

For highly-skilled workers in specialty occupations (normally requiring a bachelor’s degree or higher), there is the availability of the H-1B work visa. However, there is also the H-2B work visa for skilled and un-skilled occupations that are non-agricultural in nature.

These are not the only types of United States work visas available. For example, there is the L-1 Work Visa, for Canadians who are being transferred to United States branches or offices. There are also investor visas like the E2 work visa.

Whichever United States work visa you apply for, there are strict requirements for each type. Not everyone is qualified for every type of work visa, and you must be able to meet the particular requirements exactly while also preparing your application properly to meet the expectations of a visa officer. Contact our immigration law firm for assistance with your application to ensure you have the best results possible.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: h-1b work visa H-2B work visa TN visa United States Work Visa US Work Permit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply