E2 Visas for the United States of America

An E2 visa is a type of United States work visa for investors. There is also the E1 visa, which is for traders. These are popular visas that can be issued to citizens of specific countries, and may be a great way for you to experience fantastic business opportunities in the United States. But what is an E2 visa, and who can qualify for one? E2 Investor Visa

About the E2 Investor Visa for the United States

The E2 visa allows the holder to invest in and work in the United States. For these visas, someone must be an owner of or an investor in a United States business, and their investment must be considered “substantial”. Requirements for an E2 visa for the United States include having these “substantial” investment funds available and that they can be committed to the investment, that the investment is in an active business and is not in something like buying a house, that at least 50% of the business is owned by a foreign national from a country with a United States treaty, and that the investment provides a living for more than the visa holder and their family.

While there is not a specific minimum investment amount that is necessary, most of these investments are in the $100,000 (USD) area. However, in some cases it may be less.

In some cases, an employee of an E2 company can also be granted an E2 visa depending on their role in the company. For example, executives, managers and supervisors may qualify, while minor employees may also qualify if they have specia skills or qualifications.

Applicants for E2 visas must be from a country that has signed a treaty with the United States for the E2 visa, and a list of those countries can be found here.

Please note that in the summer of 2012, Israel was added to this list of countries with an E2 treaty with the United States.

Do you have questions about the E2 visa? We can help you! Please contact us at the phone number above or by using the e-mail form to the right for assistance.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: E2 Investor Visa

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply