Apply for a TN Visa to work in the United States

Whether or not Canadian citizens can work in the United States is one of the most common questions asked by Canadians who are interested in the subject. In fact, Canadian citizens can indeed work in the United States. While Canadian citizens may need a work visa like anyone else who wants to work in the United States, there are actually visas that are designed specifically for Canadian citizens. One of these visas is the TN visa. Work in the United States as a Canadian

The TN visa is a work visa that is only available to Canadian citizens, or citizens of Mexico under the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). Permanent residents of Canada are not able to apply for this visa.

One thing to remember about the TN visa is that it is only for specific occupations as authorized by the North American Free Trade Agreement. The occupations are found on this list here, and include occupations requiring a high level of education or expertise such as doctor, lawyer and scientist.

Applying for a TN Visa

If you are a Canadian who is interested in obtaining a TN visa to work temporarily in the United States, please note that you are able to apply for this visa at the US-Canada border. However, that does not mean the visa is an easy one to obtain and you may end up being denied for the visa after you have travelled all that way.

The TN visa has extremely strict requirements and you will also have to undergo an interview with a treaty officer when you apply. We can help you make sure that you are prepared to apply for a TN visa, that you are eligible for a TN visa, and that you are ready to go when it comes time to travel to the border and begin your work in the United States. Please contact us at the phone number above or by using the telephone number at the right to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer. We look forward to hearing from you!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: TN visa Work in the United States as a Canadian

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply