Five Types of Work Visas For The United States

Working in the United States is a possibility for many foreign nationals – including Canadian citizens – thanks to the large number of United States work visas and work permits that are available. But which one is right for you? Types of United States Work Visas

It may seem like there is a visa for everyone, but each of these United States work visas has their own strict requirements that must be met before you can be considered eligible for one. Check out our list of five of these work visas below.

Work Visas for the United States

TN Work Visa: The TN Visa is only available to Canadian citizens (or Mexican citizens) who have a job offer waiting for them in the United States. This is a temporary work visa, and one of the major requirements of this TN visa is that the job you have been offered by a United States employer falls under a specific category. In most cases, these occupations require a lot of training and high levels of education.

L-1 Work Visa: The L-1 visa is a bit different than most other work visas, because it is for employees who already have jobs for foreign companies but are being transferred to a United States office or branch of that same foreign company.

E2 Work Visa: The E2 work visa is a visa for investors in United States businesses. Foreign nationals who are able to commit a certain amount of money to an active investment that generates certain amounts of profits can be eligible.

H-1B Work Visa: The H-1B visa is for “specialty occupations”. A job that is considered a “specialty occupation” is one that usually requires a high level of education and very specific skills – not just anyone can do this job.

H-2B Work Visa: The H-2B visa is similar to the H-1B visa, although it is for skilled and unskilled workers – not just very highly skilled workers like the H-1B visa is.

Keep in mind that all United States work visas have very specific eligibility criteria you will have to meed to obtain one. If you want to work in the United States, call us! We can help you find the United States work visa that is right for you.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: E2 Work Visa H1B Work Visa l1 work visa TN visa Types of United States Work Visas

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply