How to apply for a B-1 Visa from Canada

B-1 Visa for Canada for US Business

A B-1 Visa is required for Canadians to conduct business in the United States. It is usually considered rather informal because you do not usually get an actual visa, rather you would just get a stamp on your passport. A B-1 Visa is used for business-related activities in the US that do not necessitate and actual US Work Visa, such as: 

  • Purchasing property in the US
  • Investigating business opportunities
  • Negotiating contracts
  • Attending business conferences and conventions
  • Consulting with associates
  • Attending business meetings

And more. For a full list of activities you can perform under a B-1 Visa, click here.

Is a B-1 Visa enough, or do I need a US Work Visa?

The main issue with a B-1 Visa for the US is that it is not always clear whether the B-1 Visa is adequate for your situation, or whether you actually need to apply for a US Work Visa. If you are working in the US from a Canadian company a B-1 Visa should suffice, but if a US employer is paying you, you might need a US Work Visa.

How do I apply for a B-1 Visa?

You can get a B-1 Visa at the border, but you will need to provide sufficient documentation of things such as evidence of ties to Canada to prove that you intend to return once your B-1 status expires. As well as evidence of your intended activities while in the US.

If you need help putting together your required documentation or determining whether you’ll need a US Work Visa or a B-1 Visa, we’d be happy to help! Contact us using the form on the right.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: B-1 Visa US Business Visas for Canadians US Business Visitor Visa US Visa US Work Visa

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply