What is the Medical Exam needed for some Canadian Visitor Visa Applicants?

In Canada, some temporary resident applicants may have to undergo a medical examination by a doctor in order to be admissible to Canada. Unlike permanent residence applications that often necessitate a medical examination, visitor visas  including temporary foreign workers, students and visitors do not usually need one.

In most cases, visits to Canada that last fewer than six months do not require a medical examination.

When a medical examination is required for visitor visa applicants:

If a visit is going to last more than six months or the applicant is coming to Canada for a job that works with the public (such as a teacher or medical worker), they have to undergo a medical exam. In fact, you may even have to undergo a medical exam if you’re from a country which Canada doesn’t require visas from if you are going to work in a job where public health and safety is considered.

Visitors from certain countries or who have visited certain countries for a designated period of time may also need to undergo a medical examination.

Designated doctors for immigration application medical exams

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a list of doctors that perform immigration medical exams, and not just any doctor can perform them. This list is available here.

If you’re not sure whether or not you need a medical examination before applying for a Canadian visa, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer to ensure you have all of the proper documentation ready.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: canada visiting visa medical examinations is exam needed medical examination for visitors canada VISITOR VISA MEDICAL EXAM CANADA visitors medical exam in canada

About Fadi Minawi

Fadi is a graduate of the University of Toronto and the University of Toledo College of Law. He is called to the New York State Bar and is registered as a Foreign Legal Consultant with the Law Society of Upper Canada. He is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and is currently serving as the Media Liaison for the Canadian Chapter of AILA. Fadi has extensive experience in US immigration matters and is the firm’s lead in the area of US immigration. He is specialized in corporate and family immigration, as well as issues dealing with US inadmissibility.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply