How to Obtain a US Work Visa

How to Obtain a US Work Visa

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has effectively paved the way for Canadians to work in the United States. For Canadians, small businesses and large corporations to work or operate in the states, they need to obtain a US Work Visa.

Most Canadians (or Mexicans) will be eligible to apply for a TN Work Visa.

What is a TN Work Visa?

A TN Work visa is a type of US Work Visa for Canadians and Mexicans that is valid for three years.

How to Obtain a TN Visa

1. You must first have a US job offer under the NAFTA list of jobs. This list is available here.

2. Gather all of the supporting documentation you will need to obtain a TN Visa. This supporting documentation can include resumes, education history and information about the job offer or more.

3. Have your TN documentation reviewed by an immigration professional. While TN Visas can be applied for at the US Border or port of entry, that does not mean they are easy to get. You could be turned away if you’ve made a mistake or have forgotten a piece of supporting documentation.

For more information on TN Work Visas, click here.

Other Visa Types

Depending on the situation, different types of US Work Visas may better apply to you. For example, if you intend to invest in the US with your work, you can apply for an E2 Work Visa. If you have an existing business in Canada and want to expand to the US or open a US office, an L-1 Work Visa is better for you. These types of visas are also available for other foreign nationals who are not Canadian or Mexican.

In addition, there are a number of other categories that Canadians and other foreign nationals can apply for a US Work Visa under, including H-1B Specialty Occupations, H-2B Non-Agricultural Workers, E-1 Treaty Traders, E-2 Treaty Investors and J-1 Visa for Education and Cultural Exchange.

For more information on obtaining US Work Visas, click here.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: H-1 Work Visas TN Work Visa US Work Visa US Work Visas work visa for the us working in the us

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply