How to Work in the US as a Canadian

How To Work In The US As A Canadian

When it comes to working abroad, Canadians are lucky in that it’s easier for them than other foreign nationals to work in the US.

If you have a job offer from a US employer and are a Canadian, you might be eligible to work in the US under a TN VisaWork in the US as a Canadian

A TN Visa is a type of visa for North Americans (Canadians and Mexicans) to work in the United States. They are valid for up to three years and can be applied for at the border.

Many immigration representatives sell TN Visa Kits, which are becoming more and more popular. This is somewhat of a do-it-yourself approach to applying for a TN Visa, without the help of a competent immigration representative. If you’d like to read more of our thoughts on TN Visa kits, click here.

How to Work in the US as a Canadian under a TN Visa

1. Make sure you have a job offer from a US employer. Click here for a list of eligible occupations.

2. Prepare your application and supporting documentation (resume, employment history, education history, etc.).

3. Have your application reviewed by a licensed immigration lawyer, who will help you make sure your application is filled out correctly and that there are no mistakes. Any mistake or omission can result in your application being denied.

4. When you and your application are ready, visit the US/Canadian border. If you are eligible, you will be issued a TN Visa.


Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: Canada work in the US Canadians Work In The US TN visa tn visa kit

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply