What if Your Canadian PR Card Expires while outside of Canada?

What if Your Canadian PR Card Expires While Abroad?

Canadian Permanent Residents do not typically spend all of their time in Canada – many travel abroad to visit family or for business. Because Permanent Resident Cards (PR Cards) expire every five (5) years, there’s a chance that you could be outside of Canada when it expires.

What to do when your PR Card expires outside of Canada

If your PR Card expires while you’re outside of Canada, it can pose a bit of a problem. This is because your PR Card is required to get back into Canada.

What you need to do is obtain a Travel Document as soon as you realize your PR Card has expired outside of Canada. This can be done at the Canadian office in whatever country you’re in.

Just like applying for a PR Card Renewal, you will need to prove you meet the residency requirements in Canada to be approved for a Travel Document to get back into Canada. However, if you do not meet the requirements you still may be able to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments if you have important reasons for remaining outside of Canada for so long.

For more information on renewing an expired PR Card or obtaining a Travel Document, click here.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: expired PR card permanent residence card PR Card PR card expire PR Card Expired Abroad pr card expires outside canada

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply