Working in the United States as a Canadian

It is necessary for any foreign national, including Canadian citizens, to obtain a work visa before they can legally work in the United States for a United States employer. A work visa application is not an easy one, and there are strict requirements that must be met in order for an individual to be accepted. Work in the United States as a Canadian citizen
Someone who is a doctor or a dentist (or has another type of job where a very high level of education is required) and who has an existing job offer in the US may qualify for a TN visa, for example. There are also many visas similar to this one for people who have job offers in the US in specific occupations.

Another type of visa, the L-1 work visa, is for Canadians who are being transferred to the United States by their Canadian employer.

Someone could also obtain a United States work visa by investing in the US, using the E-2 work visa.

Which United States work visa is right for me?

It might seem like there is a United States work visa for every situation, but that’s not the case. However, there are many different kinds of United States work visas and one of them might be perfect for you. Some visas are even specially tailored to Canadian citizens, like the TN Visa, which can be applied for at the border instead of applied for by mail – eliminating long wait times. In most cases you will need to have a job offer in the United States, and that job may need to be in a specific type of occupation.

One factor that makes how you go about applying for a United States work visa so important is that if your work visa application is denied, this will be recorded in the United States immigration database and make it difficult to apply in the future. To make sure you do it right the first time, have a licensed immigration lawyer assess your case, help you find the United States work visa for you and help you with your application.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: TN visa US work visas for Canadians Work in the United States as a Canadian citizen

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply