Entering Canada with a DUI or DWI

If you have a DUI or DWI conviction, you may be inadmissible to Canada. It all depends when the conviction was entered, how many convictions you had, the surrounding circumstances and the reason why you wish to enter Canada.

But generally DUI charges are a reason for being refused at the borderentering canada with DUI

How do I enter Canada with a DUI charge?

If you have a DUI charge and wish to enter Canada, the first thing you should do is get a copy of your conviction papers. You may be able to obtain this at the court house that issued the conviction. If it is an old conviction, the file may be in archives. But you should obtain your court records.

You should also prepare a personal statement about the circumstances surrounding your charges. This is important because you may require a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) from the Canadian government in order to be admitted to Canada. A TRP is a permit that will enable you to enter Canada for a temporary period if you are inadmissible.  As part of the TRP application process, you are required to prepare a personal statement.

You should also be able to clearly explain why you wish to enter Canada, how long you intend to stay and further details of your visit. If your visit is for business purposes you should clearly show you are not working in Canada but rather just entering as a business visitor. However the only acception to this is if you have a Canadian work permit.

Where do I get help?

If you have a DUI charge or a criminal record, you may want to seek the assistance of an immigration lawyer experienced in inadmissibility issues. Your lawyer should be able to advise you as to what documents are required, prepare your TRP if necessary and give you advise as to how to conduct yourself at the Canadian border when you cross into Canada.

Canadian regulations are restrictive when if comes to criminal offences even minor ones.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Tags: coming to canada with dui charge crossing canadian border with DWI denied entry to Canada dui deny entry into canada dwi canada entry entering canada with dui

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the American Bar Association. He is frequently called upon to appear in the media to discuss Canadian and US immigration issues effecting North Americans. He has been interviewed by Canada AM, CTV, Canada News Net, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star and has given lectures on immigration topics overseas.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply